Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Rant About Lines (aka Queues)

Two posts in one day - this might be a first. But, I couldn't hold back, I just had to rant.

I, like most women, love to shop. But, I hate HATE waiting in lines. Especially lines that are arranged inefficiently. As an industrial engineer in undergrad, I took a course at USC, ISE 331, that included queuing theory. It was actually one of my favorite classes and I learned about efficient ways to set up queues. It's complicated and I know that my comments below simplify it, but bear with me. ;)

Today, as my Mom and I walked up to check out at a department store, there were 3 cashiers open and no line. We opted to stand in a location that didn't commit us to any line, naturally. A line formed behind us until one woman asked what cashier we were waiting for which led to a cashier stating that there should be one line for each of the three check out stands. This caused near chaos as everyone tried to identify the fastest line and re-shuffle.

This makes me want to scream. Anyone who has taken a queuing theory class has learned that the way to minimize average wait time of all customers is to offer one line that feeds ALL cashiers. ONE LINE. This then balances out those people that take a year to find their credit cards or who bring up items without price tags and allows no one to be "punished" for getting behind the slow pokes.

I know some people could argue with me about the details of service type, number of cashiers, etc... but, honestly, this is the way it should be. Group similar customers and put them in one stupid line. Just Do It. I promise, not only will it get customers through the lines on average the fastest but it will also limit the anxiety customers feel when trying to pick that "fastest" line.

Rant. Over.

2 comments:

  1. OMG...this is SO funny as I had the exact same experience and feelings that you're explaining/ranting about!

    If it makes you feel any better, and for what it's worth, as an industrial engineer also, I couldn't help but find myself irritated in my own situation. Let's just say, I'm not sure if I handled it very well though...

    Thanks for the hilarious and relatable post!

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I am 100% with you. I HATE multiple lines; people get totally screwed in that set up. That being said, I also hate when there is no clear line. I've noticed this most often at fast food places, ie. McDonalds. There is just a muddle of people standing around and you don't know if you're standing behind someone waiting to order or someone who is waiting for their food. It drives me crazy!! Barrier posts cannot be that expensive. I'm sure Micky D's has got the money.

    Okay, now my rant is over. ;)

    ReplyDelete